Dan Breznitz is known worldwide as an expert on rapid-innovation-based industries and their globalization, as well as for his pioneering research on the distributional impact of innovation policies.
He is the Co-Director of the Innovation Policy Lab in Toronto, a centre for cutting-edge thinking, teaching and advising society about innovation broadly defined. In an earlier life he founded and served as a CEO of a small software company.
- The Susan Strange Best Book in International Studies Award, The British International Studies Association, 2012
- GTRC 75th Anniversary Innovation Award for Public Service, Leadership, and Policy, 2011
- Georgia Tech Professor of Excellence – an Institute Wide Award for exemplary sustained educational and research achievements, 2011
- Don K. Price for the best book in Science and Technology Politics, The American Political Science Association, 2008
- Industry Study Fellow of the Sloan Foundation (one of five young North American scholars to be so selected), 2008
- Breznitz, D. and A. Zehavi “The Neoliberal Targeted Social Investment State: The Case of Ethnic Minorities.” Journal of Social Policy. Forthcoming (2018).
- Breznitz, D., C. Forman and W. Wen. “The Role of Venture Capitalists in the Formation of New Technological Trajectories: Evidence from the Cloud." MIS Quarterly. Vol 42 (4) (2018): 1143-1169.
- Breznitz, D. and A. Zehavi. “Distribution Sensitive Innovation Policies: Conceptualization and Empirical Examples.” Research Policy, Vol 46 (1) (2017): 327–336.
- Breznitz, D. and Darius Ornston. “The politics of partial success: Fostering innovation in innovation policy in an era of heightened public scrutin.” Socio-Economic Review, Forthcoming (2017).
- Breznitz, D. and M. Murphree. The Run of the Red Queen: Government, Innovation, Globalization, and Economic Growth in China. New Haven: Yale University Press (2011).
CIFAR is a registered charitable organization supported by the governments of Canada, Alberta and Quebec, as well as foundations, individuals, corporations and Canadian and international partner organizations.