CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholar 2023-2025
Boundaries Membership & Belonging
Hajar Yazdiha’s research examines the mechanisms underlying the politics of inclusion and exclusion as they shape ethno-racial identities, intergroup relations, and political culture. This research examines the social forces that bring us together and keep us apart, showing how powerful institutions like law and media categorize groups into an “us” and a “them” and make these boundaries feel real and natural. This research shows how our conception of boundaries matters for everyday people, their identities, their politics and modes of collective action, and even their imaginations of what type of society may be possible. In addition to award-winning articles, Yazdiha is author of the book, The Struggle for the People’s King: How Politics Transforms the Memory of the Civil Rights Movement (Princeton University Press) which examines how the political misuses of the past erode multicultural democracy.
- USC Albert S. Raubenheimer Outstanding Junior Faculty Award, USC, 2022
- American Sociological Association International Migration Section Louis Wirth Best Article Award, ASA, 2022
- Ford Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2022
- Russell Sage Foundation Pipeline Grant, 2022
- Social Science Research Council, Democratic Anxieties in the Americas Research Grant, SSRC, 2021
- Yazdiha, Hajar. (2023) The Struggle for the People’s King: How Politics Transforms the Memory of the Civil Rights Movement. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- Yazdiha, Hajar. (2021) “Toward a Du Boisian Framework of Immigrant Incorporation: Racialized Contexts, Relational Identities, and Muslim American Collective Action.” Social Problems, 68(2): 300-320.
- Yazdiha, Hajar. (2019) "Exclusion through Acculturation? Comparing First and Second Generation European Muslims’ Perceptions of Discrimination Across Four National Contexts.” Ethnic and Racial Studies, Vol. 42 (5), 782-800.
CIFAR is a registered charitable organization supported by the governments of Canada, Alberta and Quebec, as well as foundations, individuals, corporations and Canadian and international partner organizations.