Börner’s research focuses on the development of data analysis and visualization techniques for information access, understanding, and management. She is particularly interested in the formalization, measurement, and systematic improvement of people’s data visualization literacy; the study of the structure and evolution of scientific disciplines; the construction and usage of a human reference atlas; and the development of cyberinfrastructures for large-scale scientific collaboration and computation.
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) in 2012
- Humboldt Research Fellow in 2017
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) Fellow in 2018
- Börner, Katy, Andreas Bueckle, Bruce W. Herr II, Leonard E. Cross, Ellen M. Quardokus, Elizabeth G. Record, Yingnan Ju, Jonathan C. Silverstein, Kristen M. Browne, Sanjay Jain, Clive H. Wasserfall, Marda L. Jorgensen, Jeffrey M. Spraggins, Nathan H. Patterson, and Griffin M. Weber. 2022. "Tissue registration and exploration user interfaces in support of a human reference atlas". Communications Biology 5: 1369 (2022). doi: 10.1101/2021.12.30.474265
- Börner, Katy, Sarah A Teichmann, Ellen M Quardokus, James Gee, Kristen Browne, David Osumi-Sutherland, Bruce W Herr II, Andreas Bueckle, Hrishikesh Paul, Muzlifah A Haniffa, Laura Jardine, Amy Bernard, Song-Lin Ding, Jeremy A Miller, Shin Lin, Marc Halushka, Avinash Boppana, Teri A Longacre, John Hickey, Yiing Lin, M Todd Valerius, Yongqun He, Gloria Pryhuber, Xin Sun, Marda Jorgensen, Andrea J Radtke, Clive Wasserfall, Fiona Ginty, Jonhan Ho, Joel Sunshine, Rebecca T Beuschel, Maigan Brusko, Sujin Lee, Rajeev Malhotra, Sanjay Jain, and Griffin Weber. 2021. "Anatomical structures, cell types and biomarkers of the Human Reference Atlas". Nature Cell Biology 23: 1117-1128. doi: 10.1038/s41556-021-00788-6
- Börner, Katy. 2021. Atlas of Forecasts: Modeling and Mapping Desirable Futures. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press
CIFAR is a registered charitable organization supported by the governments of Canada, Alberta and Quebec, as well as foundations, individuals, corporations and Canadian and international partner organizations.