Purpose of Position:
Reporting to CIFAR’s Vice President, Engagement & Public Policy, the Director leads the Institute’s government funding and public policy portfolio by managing CIFAR’s current government relationships, and proactively identifying and securing new government partners in Canada and abroad. Within the government portfolio, a significant focus for the Director will be CIFAR’s partnerships with the governments of Canada and Quebec, including all aspects of government relations for the Pan-Canadian AI Strategy.
- Implements the Institute’s federal, provincial and global government and public sector funding plan with a focus on building successful partnerships in support of CIFAR’s mission with the governments of Canada and Quebec
- Serves as the Institute’s lead on public sector funding strategies, ensuring that plans and activities support the CIFAR Strategic Plan and Annual Operating Plans
- Represents CIFAR as a go-to knowledge broker by managing current partnerships and identifying and building new funding partnerships with the public sector in Canada and abroad
- Analyzes market potential, alignment with mission and internal capacity for new ideas and initiatives that increase the funding, impact and reach of the Institute, identifying opportunities to test and evaluate new methodologies
- Monitors, evaluates and maximizes CIFAR’s financial resources with primary focus on public sector funding and accountability
- Works with Director, Communications on relevant communications and materials development pertaining to government relations, e.g op eds, recognition on materials, CEO speeches, etc.
- Manages all aspects of government relations for the Pan-Canadian AI Strategy, working closely with the Executive Director, Pan-Canadian AI Strategy
- Performs all other duties as required and provides support for other Institute initiatives as assigned
- A graduate degree in public policy or a related field.
- More than seven years of experience in government relations or within government.
- Experience working in an academic or research setting.
- Bilingual (French/English) required.
Core Professional/Technical Knowledge & Skills required for the position:
- Expertise in government and the policy-setting and decision-making process.
- Knowledge of and direct experience working with CIFAR stakeholders in federal and provincial governments.
- In-depth knowledge of CIFAR’s vision and mission, research themes and programs.
- Computer skills to use a variety of standard and in-house office software.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
- Strong communications and presentation abilities.
Position reports to: Vice-President, Engagement and Public Policy
Term of position: Permanent, Full-time
Start date: asap
Contact: To apply for this unique position, please submit your application and related materials to firstname.lastname@example.org and state the title of the position in the subject line of your e-mail.
To find out more, please visit our website: www.cifar.ca
One of CIFAR’s core cultural values is Diversity – we value diversity and aspire to be inclusive in all aspects of our work. CIFAR is an equal employment opportunity employer and is strongly committed to removing systemic barriers and biases, and by promoting the practice of inclusivity, so that all individuals have equal access to and benefit from the work we do. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals and encourage women, members of racialized communities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity to confidentially self-identify at time of application.
ACCESSIBILITY FOR APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES – CIFAR is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and the Ontario Human Rights Code. To request a reasonable accommodation, please email email@example.com and include the term ‘Accessibility’ in the Subject Line, or call 416-971-4251. Please provide your name, preferred contact method, and a detailed description of the nature of any accommodation that you may require. Please include any materials or processes that may be used to ensure your equal participation.
CIFAR frequently communicates in both official languages and our preference is to hire employees who are fluent in both English and French where possible. Other languages are also considered an asset. For a French version of the job posting, please visit www.cifar.ca.
We thank you for your interest in working at CIFAR. All applications will be reviewed however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted via email.