CIFAR is a Canadian-based global research organization that convenes extraordinary minds to address the most important questions facing science and humanity.
By building long-term, interdisciplinary, global communities of collaboration, we provide the world’s top researchers with an unparalleled environment of trust, transparency and knowledge sharing. Our time-tested model inspires new directions of inquiry, creating a culture of risk-taking, accelerating discovery, and yielding breakthroughs across borders and academic disciplines.
Through knowledge mobilization, we are catalysts for change in industry, government and society.
In 2017, the Government of Canada appointed CIFAR to develop and lead the Pan-Canadian Artificial Intelligence (AI) Strategy, the world’s first national AI strategy.
Our community of researchers includes more than 400 researchers from 161 institutions in 18 countries. Our fellows, chairs, scholars, and advisors are among the most highly cited researchers in the world. Twenty Nobel Prizes have been awarded to CIFAR-affiliated researchers.
We are supported by the governments of Canada, Alberta and Quebec, as well as foundations, individuals, corporations and Canadian and international partner organizations.
Purpose of the Position:
CIFAR is strongly committed to creating an equitable, diverse, and inclusive (EDI) environment for all members of our community. Reporting to the Head, EDI, the Specialist, EDI, will provide support with building and growing new initiatives emerging from CIFAR’s EDI Action Plan. This will include working collaboratively with all teams at CIFAR to embed EDI practices and principles in CIFAR’s functions and to align efforts, design programs, and assess progress.
Programs & Initiatives
- Assist with the development and planning of programs designed to ensure fair and equitable selection and treatment of members of the CIFAR community
- Support EDI-focused working groups and committees to enhance organization-wide engagement in EDI initiatives
- Create presentations, guidelines and learning materials to support the adoption and advancement of programs
Community Engagement and Collaboration
- Research and recommend opportunities for active participation in the EDI landscape to strengthen learning, share challenges and best practices and broaden the reach of CIFAR’s impact
- Liaise and establish partnerships with groups/organizations supporting equity-deserving communities in research
Education and Awareness
- Build organizational capacity on equity, diversity and inclusion by keeping up to date on best practices, tools and training
- Support the development and delivery of anEDI learning plan, including designing and facilitating training
Knowledge of equity, diversity and inclusion best practices, challenges and strategies
- Knowledge of conflict resolution, human rights, anti-racism and anti-oppression principles and practices
- Experience managing multiple and diverse stakeholder relationships
- Lived experience as a member of an equity-deserving group will be considered an asset
- Strong and current understanding of best practices in EDI programming and key success factors from other organizations who are leaders in this domain
- Self-motivated and proactive with organizing and prioritizing in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent attention to detail, problem solving, with the ability to work well independently and in a collaborative team
- Demonstrated effective and flexible communication skills necessary for one on one, small group and larger group presentations
- Ability to analyze variety of data types, think critically and identify process improvements
- Active listening skills supporting effective engagement at all levels of the organization
Position Reports to: Head, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Term of Position: Permanent, full-time
Compensation: $75,000-85,000 annually
Start Date: Beginning of April
The position will be a hybrid in-person and remote role based at the CIFAR office at Suite 505, 661 University Ave, Toronto, Ontario
Contact: Please send resume and cover letter in confidence to Mahalia Crichlow, Recruitment Consultant, firstname.lastname@example.org quoting “Specialist EDI” in the Subject Line. The deadline for submitting your application is February 28, 2022.
To find out more, please visit our website: www.cifar.ca
CIFAR is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion. We recognize that bringing together individuals from multiple backgrounds, perspectives and experiences is integral to advancing excellence and increasing the impact of our organization. Our leadership, staff and volunteers strive to create an equitable, diverse and inclusive workplace and, in turn, an environment that will give our diverse global community of researchers the support to successfully address the most important questions facing science and humanity. Ensuring that every person feels valued and welcome, regardless of age, education, sexual orientation, gender expression and identity, parental status/responsibility, immigration status, Indigenous status, religion, disability, language, race, place of origin, ethnicity, culture, socio-economic status, and other attributes is vital to achieving our mission. We strongly encourage applications from members of our society who face systemic barriers and biases, including, but not limited to, women, Indigenous persons, members of visible minority/racialized communities, 2SLGBTQ+ persons, members of marginalized gender identity communities, and persons with disabilities. Applicants may confidentially self-identify at the time of application.
ACCESSIBILITY FOR APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES – CIFAR is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and the Ontario Human Rights Code. To request a reasonable accommodation, please email email@example.com and include the term ‘Accessibility’ in the Subject Line, or call 416-971-4251. Please provide your name, preferred contact method, and a detailed description of the nature of any accommodation that you may require. Please include any materials or processes that may be used to ensure your equal participation.
CIFAR frequently communicates in both official languages and our preference is to hire employees who are fluent in both English and French where possible. Other languages are also considered an asset. For a French version of the job posting, please visit www.cifar.ca.
CIFAR is supported by the governments of Canada, Alberta, British Columbia, Ontario, and Quebec as well as international partner organizations, individuals, foundations, and corporations.
We thank you for your interest in working at CIFAR. All applications will be reviewed however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted via email.