Dr Chédotal has primarily studied the cellular and molecular mechanisms which control the development of brain connectivity and how they have evolved. Most of his studies are conducted in vivo using mice and other animal models such as fish and birds. His team also studied the cellular mechanisms regulating cell-cell interactions during retina development, optic nerve regeneration, myelination, angiogenesis and ocular vaso-proliferative diseases. In the past few years, he has developed novel molecular and imaging techniques (in particular combining tissue clearing an 3D microscopy) to study axon guidance and embryology. His team contributes to the human cell atlas project and has started to build the first 3D cellular atlas of the developing human embryo. He has coordinated two consortia that apply cutting-edge genomics and imaging technologies to revisit human embryology.
- The Remedios Caro Almela Prize for Research in Developmental Neurobiology, 2017
- INSERM Research Prize, 2017
- Elected at the French Academy of Sciences , 2017
- Elected EMBO Member, 2019
- Krieg Cortical Discoverer Award of the Cajal Club, 2022
- Belle, M., Godefroy, D., Couly, G., Malone, S. A. S. A., Collier, F., Giacobini, P., & Chédotal, A. (2017). Tridimensional Visualization and Analysis of Early Human Development. Cell, 169(1), 161-173.e12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2017.03.008
- Dominici, C., Moreno-Bravo, J. A., Puiggros, S. R., Rappeneau, Q., Rama, N., Vieugue, P., … Chédotal, A. (2017). Floor-plate-derived netrin-1 is dispensable for commissural axon guidance. Nature, 545(7654), 350–354. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature22331
- Vigouroux, R. J., Duroure, K., Vougny, J., Albadri, S., Kozulin, P., Herrera, E., … Chédotal, A. (2021). Bilateral visual projections exist in non-teleost bony fish and predate the emergence of tetrapods. Science, 372(6538), 150–156. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.abe7790
CIFAR is a registered charitable organization supported by the governments of Canada, Alberta and Quebec, as well as foundations, individuals, corporations and Canadian and international partner organizations.