Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
CIFAR is committed to creating a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment.
We know we can, and need to, do better. Our efforts require concrete actions and goals if we are to achieve meaningful change.
We know that underrepresented groups experience systemic barriers in science, and more broadly in research organizations and academia. We know that we can do more to ensure our actions, systems and processes have a meaningful impact in removing some of these barriers.
CIFAR has an opportunity to create a model for international research excellence and collaboration that helps the broader research community make progress towards more equitable, diverse and inclusive practices. We are committed to taking deliberate action toward this objective, informed by the best available evidence and data.
CIFAR's EDI Action Plan
In April 2020, CIFAR’s Board of Directors approved the organization's first Action Plan on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.
The plan outlines themes we need to address to ensure we are living our values as an organization. These include:
- Fostering inclusive spaces – focusing on collaboration, respecting each other, and providing education on EDI principles;
- Providing equal opportunities for all and providing more opportunities for underrepresented groups;
- Removing unconscious bias from decision-making;
- Providing training and awareness, recognizing diversity as a strength, and considering merit-based acceptance into CIFAR’s community; and
- Committing to diverse groups — building on CIFAR’s strengths with an intersectional approach to researcher selection, and having equal representation at leadership levels in research programs.
Each action is included in CIFAR’s annual operating plan.
We are working towards a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive world.
For more information, contact Ekua Quansah, Head, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion.
CIFAR is a registered charitable organization supported by the governments of Canada, Alberta and Quebec, as well as foundations, individuals, corporations and Canadian and international partner organizations.