Brenda Andrews is the Charles H. Best Chair of Medical Research, Director of the Donnelly Centre for Cellular and Biomolecular Research and Professor of Molecular Genetics at the University of Toronto.
Dr. Andrews completed her PhD in Medical Biophysics (with Paul Sadowski) at the University of Toronto, and postdoctoral training in genetics with the late Dr. Ira Herskowitz at the University of California San Francisco.
In 1991, Dr. Andrews was recruited to the Department of Medical Genetics (now Molecular Genetics) at the University of Toronto. She became Chair of the Department in 1999, a position she held for 5 years before assuming a position as Chair of the Banting & Best Department of Medical Research and as the inaugural Director of the Donnelly Centre. Dr. Andrews’ current research interests include analysis of genetic interaction networks in budding yeast and mammalian cells, using high through-put genetics platforms that include high content microscopy for systematic analysis of cell biological phenotypes. Dr. Andrews is a Companion of the Order of Canada, an elected Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada, the American Association for the Advancement of Science and the American Academy of Microbiology.
- Emil Christian Hansen Award for Microbiology, Carlsberg Foundation (shared with Charles Boone)
- Women in Science and Engineering “Breaking the Glass Ceiling” Award, University of Toronto, 2007
- Fellow, Royal Society of Canada, 2005
- Premier's Research Excellence Award, 1999–2002
- Medical Research Council of Canada Scientist, 1997–2002
- Medical Research Council of Canada Fellowship, 1986–1989
- Kuzmin, E.*, VanderSluis, B.*, Wang, W., Tan, G., Deshpande, R., Chen, Y., Usaj, M., Balint, A., Mattiazzi Usaj, M., van Leeuwen, J., Koch, E.N., Pons, C., Dagilis, A.J., Pryszlak, M., Want, Z., Xu, K., Heydari, H., San Luis, B-J., Shuteriquq, E., Zhu, H., van Dyk, N., Sharifpoor, S., Costanzo, M., Bolnick, D., Brown, G.W, Andrews, B.J.#, Myers, C.L.#, Boone, C#. "Systematic analysis of complex genetic interactions." Science 360 (2018).
- Kraus, O.Z, Grys, B.T., Ba, J., Chong, Y., Frey, B.J., Boone, C.,* & Andrews, B.J*. "Automated analysis of high-content microscopy data with deep learning." Molecular Systems Biology 13(4) (2017) : 924
- Jolanda van Leeuwen1*, Carles Pons2*, Joseph C. Mellor, Takafumi N.Yamaguchi, Helena Friesen, John Koschwanez, Mojca Mattiazzi Ušaj, Maria Pechlaner, Mehmet Takar, Matej Ušaj, Benjamin VanderSluis, Kerry Andrusiak, Pritpal Bansal, Anastasia Baryshnikova, Claire Boone, Jessica Cao, Atina Cote, Marinella Gebbia, Gene Horecka, Ira Horecka, Elena Kuzmin, Nicole Legro, Wendy Liang, Natascha van Lieshout, Margaret McNee, Bryan-Joseph San Luis, Fatemeh Shaeri, Ermira Shuteriqi, Song Sun, Lu Yang, Ji-Young Youn, Michael Yuen, Michael Costanzo, Anne-Claude Gingras, Patrick Aloy, Chris Oostenbrink, Andrew Murray, Todd R. Graham, Chad L. Myers, Brenda J. Andrews‡, Frederick P. Roth‡, and Charles Boone‡ (2016). "Exploring functional genetic suppression interactions on a global scale." Science 354 (6312) (2016).
- Styles, E.B., Founk, K.J., Zamparo, L.A., Sing, T.L., Altintas, D., Ribeyre, C., Ribaud, V., Rougement, J., Mayhew, D., Costanzo, M., Usaj, M., Verster, A.J., Koch, E., Novarina, D., Graf, M., Luke, B., Muzi-Falconi, M., Myers, C.L., Mitra, R.D., Shore, D., Brown, G.W., Zhang, Z., Boone, C.#, Andrews, B.J#. "Quantitative Yeast Phenomics: Systematic Single Cell Analysis of DNA Damage Foci." Cell Systems 3(3) (2016) : 264-277.
- *equal contributions; #co-corresponding authors
CIFAR is a registered charitable organization supported by the governments of Canada, Alberta and Quebec, as well as foundations, individuals, corporations and Canadian and international partner organizations.