Catherine Tallon-Baudry seeks to understand how brain activity turns into conscious experience.
She has proposed that subjective experience arises when a neural activity is linked to a minimal form of self, coming from the neural monitoring of visceral organs. She currently investigates the role of both gastric-brain and heart-brain coupling in very different aspects of subjectivity. This research should not only shed new light on mental life, but also help in the design of new paradigms to test whether non-communicating patients can feel things.
- President-elect, Association for the Scientific Study of Consciousness, 2017
- ERC Advanced grant, 2014
- Young Researcher Award, Fyssen Foundation, 2002
- Fellowship, École normale supérieure de Lyon, France, 1990–1997
- Tallon-Baudry, C., Campana, F., Park, H-D., & Babo-Rebelo, M. (2018). The neural monitoring of visceral inputs, rather than attention, accounts for first-person perspective in conscious vision. Cortex, 102, 139–49. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cortex.2017.05.019
- Babo-Rebelo, M., Richter, C.G., & Tallon-Baudry, C. (2016). Neural responses to heartbeats in the default network encode the self in spontaneous thoughts. Journal of Neuroscience, 36(30), 7829–7840. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1523%2FJNEUROSCI.0262-16.
- Park, H-D., Correia, S., Ducorps, A., & Tallon-Baudry, C. (2014). Spontaneous fluctuations in neural responses to heartbeats predict visual detection. Nature Neuroscience, 17, 612–18. DOI: 10.1038/nn.3671
- Sergent, C., Wyart, V., Babo-Rebelo, M.,…Tallon-Baudry, C. (2013). Cueing attention after the stimulus is gone can retrospectively trigger conscious perception. Current Biology, 23(2), 150–55. DOI: 0.1016/j.cub.2012.11.047
- Wyart, V., & Tallon-Baudry, C. (2008). A neural dissociation between visual awareness and spatial attention. Journal of Neuroscience, 28(10), 2667–2679. DOI: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.4748-07.2008
CIFAR is a registered charitable organization supported by the governments of Canada, Alberta and Quebec, as well as foundations, individuals, corporations and Canadian and international partner organizations.