Daryl Haggard’s research focuses on Sagittarius A*, the supermassive black hole at the heart of our Milky Way galaxy.
Haggard’s team uses radio, submillimetre, near infrared and X-ray telescopes to probe the black hole’s exotic environment, where strong gravity plays a key role. Her team studies the interplay between distant growing supermassive black holes, or active galactic nuclei, and their host galaxies. They have also searched for X-ray flashes emitted from neutron stars and black holes when they collide.
- Kavli Frontiers Fellow, National Academy of Sciences, 2014–16
- CIERA Postdoctoral Fellow, Northwestern University, 2010–14
- NASA Jenkins Predoctoral Fellow, University of Washington, 2005–08
- Achievement Awards for College Scientists, San Francisco State University, 2001–03
- NSF GK-12 Fellow, San Francisco State University, 2001–02
- Haggard, D. et al. "A Deep Chandra X-ray Study of Neutron Star Coalescence GW170817." ApJL 848 (2017).
- Abbott, B.P. et al. "Multi-messenger Observations of a Binary Neutron Star Merger." ApJL 848 (2017).
- Capellupo, D. et al. "Simultaneous Monitoring of X-ray and Radio Variability in Sagittarius A*." Astrophysical Journal 845 (2017).
- Ponti, G. et al. "A powerful flare from Sgr A* confirms the synchrotron nature of the X-ray emission." Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 468 (2017): 2447–2468.
- Haggard, D. et al. "Low Mass X-ray Binaries in the Inner Galaxy: Implications for Millisecond Pulsars and the GeV Excess." Journal of Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics 05 (2017).
- Corrales, L.R. et al. "X-ray Scattering Echos and Ghost Halos From the Intergalactic Medium: Relation to the Nature of AGN Variability." Astrophysical Journal 839 (2017).
- Capellupo, D.M., G. Waffelard-Fernandez, and D. Haggard. "A Comparison of Two Methods for Estimating Black Hole Spin in Active Galactic Nuclei." Astrophysical Journal Letters 836 (2017).
CIFAR is a registered charitable organization supported by the governments of Canada, Alberta, Ontario, and Quebec as well as foundations, individuals, corporations, and international partner organizations.