David W. Denning is an infectious diseases clinician with expertise in fungal diseases.
He serves as the chief executive of the Global Action Fund for Fungal infections (GAFFI) and professor of Infectious Diseases and Global Health at the University of Manchester, UK. Denning manages the National Aspergillosis Centre, Manchester, a referral centre in the UK for all patients with chronic pulmonary aspergillosis. His current academic interests are chronic and allergic pulmonary fungal disease, the global burden of fungal infection, resistance in aspergillus, and the development of new antifungal agents.
- Edouard Drouhet medal, European Confederation of Medical Mycology, 2017
- Third P Talwar Oration, Chandigarh, India, 2015
- Fellow, Academy of Medical Sciences, 2010
- MacFarlane Burnett Lecturer, Australasian Society of Infectious Diseases, 2005
- Page, I.D., Byanyima, R., Hosmane, S., Onyachi N.,... Denning, D.W. (2019 ). Chronic pulmonary aspergillosis commonly complicates treated pulmonary tuberculosis with residual cavitation. Eur Resp J, 18(53), pii: 1801184. DOI: 10.1183/13993003.01184-2018.
- Denning, D.W., Kneale, M., Sobel, J.D., & Rautemaa-Richardson, R. (2018). Global burden of recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis. Lancet Infect Dis, 18(11), e339-e347. DOI: 10.1016/S1473-3099(18)30103-8.
- Denning, D.W., Perlin, D.S., Muldoon, E.G., Colombo, A.L., et al. (2017). Delivering on the antimicrobial resistance agenda not possible without improving fungal diagnostic capabilities. Emerg Infect Dis,23(2), 177-183. DOI: 10.3201/eid2302.152042
- Cole, D.C., Govender, N.P., Chakrabarti, C., Sacarlal, J. (2017). Improving fungal disease identification and management – combined health systems and public health approaches are needed. Lancet Infect Dis, 17(12), e412-e419. DOI: 10.1016/S1473-3099(17)30308-0
- Bongomin, F., Gago, S., Oladele, R.O., & Denning, D.W. (2017). Global and national prevalence of fungal diseases-estimate precision. J Fungi (Basel), 3(4), pii:E57. DOI: 10.3390/jof3040057.
CIFAR is a registered charitable organization supported by the governments of Canada, Alberta, Ontario, and Quebec as well as foundations, individuals, corporations, and international partner organizations.