Elhanan Helpman is an economist whose research has contributed to our understanding of balances of payments, exchange rate regimes, stabilization programs and foreign debt.
He is best known for his studies of international trade, economic growth and political economy. Helpman is a co-founder of the ‘new trade theory’ and the ‘new growth theory,’ which emphasize the influence of economies of scale and imperfect competition.
- BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Award, 2014
- Onassis Prize for International Trade, 2012
- Helpman, E. Understanding Global Trade. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2011.
- Helpman, E. The Mystery of Economic Growth. Cambridge, MA: Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 2004.
- Coe, D.T., and E. Helpman. "International R&D spillovers." Eur. Econ. Rev. 39, no. 5 (1995): 859–87.
- Helpman, E., and P. Krugman. Market Structure and Foreign Trade. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1985.
CIFAR is a registered charitable organization supported by the governments of Canada, Alberta, Ontario, and Quebec as well as foundations, individuals, corporations, and international partner organizations.