CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholars 2022-2024
Bio-inspired Solar Energy
Eva Nichols’ group’s research interests center around the development and understanding of catalysts for the electrochemical reduction of oxidized carbon into valuable products. Her research group works to improve catalyst activity and selectivity using lessons from biology by applying general design principles from CO2-fixing enzymes to synthetic molecular and materials-based systems. A key goal is to gain a deeper understanding of the way in which the catalyst’s local environment governs reaction outcome. This goal will be accomplished by merging the synthesis of tunable molecules and functionalized interfaces with a variety of spectroscopic methods to examine catalysts under operating conditions.
- Scialog Negative Emissions Science Fellow, Research Corporation for Science Advancement, 2020
- Ruth Kirschstein Research Service Award, National Institutes of Health, 2018-2020
- Graduate Research Fellowship, National Science Foundation, 2013-2016
- Outstanding Graduate Student Instructor Award, UC Berkeley, 2013
- Nichols, E. M., Derrick, J. S., Nistanaki, S. K., Smith, P. T., Chang, C. J. (2018) Positional Effects of Second-Sphere Amide Pendants on Electrochemical CO2 Reduction Catalyzed by Iron Porphyrins. Chemical Science, 9, 2952-2960. DOI: 10.1039/C7SC04682K
- Delley, M. F., Nichols, E. M., Mayer, J.M. (2021) Interfacial Acid–Base Equilibria and Electric Fields Concurrently Probed by In Situ Surface-Enhanced Infrared Spectroscopy. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 143, 28, 10778–10792. DOI: 10.1021/jacs.1c05419
- Gong, M., Cao, Z., Liu, W., Nichols, E. M., Smith, P. T., Derrick, J. S., Liu, Y. S., Liu, J., Wen, X., Chang, C. J. (2017) Supramolecular Porphyrin Cages Assembled at Molecular–Materials Interfaces for Electrocatalytic CO Reduction, ACS Central Science, 3, 1032-1040. DOI: 10.1021/acscentsci.7b00316
CIFAR is a registered charitable organization supported by the governments of Canada, Alberta and Quebec, as well as foundations, individuals, corporations and Canadian and international partner organizations.