Joelle Pineau, a computer scientist, co-directs the Reasoning and Learning Lab at McGill University. She also leads the Facebook AI Research lab in Montreal, Canada.
Her research focuses on developing new models and algorithms for planning and learning in complex, partially observable domains. She also works on applying these algorithms to complex problems in robotics, health care, games and conversational agents. Pineau serves on the editorial board of the Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research and the Journal of Machine Learning Research and is currently President of the International Machine Learning Society.
- Governor General's Innovation Awards, 2019
- NSERC E.W.R. Steacie Memorial Fellowship, 2018
- Facebook Research Award, 2017
- Member of the College of New Scholars, Artists and Scientists, Royal Society of Canada, 2016
- William Dawson Scholar, McGill University, 2015
CIFAR is a registered charitable organization supported by the governments of Canada, Alberta, Ontario, and Quebec as well as foundations, individuals, corporations, and international partner organizations.