Kwabena Bediako’s research interests cut across chemistry and physics, but the thread holding all of his team’s projects together is energy.
Bediako and his research group try to discover new scientific principles and create materials that will form the basis of energy conserving and energy conversion technologies. Specifically, they are exploring how chemical and electrochemical modification of atomically thin, two-dimensional materials may be used to engineer exotic electronic phases that are fundamentally interesting and also potentially relevant to either ultralow power electronic devices of the future or next-generation electrochemical energy storage systems.
- Department of Energy Early Career Award, 2020
- Air Force Office of Scientific Research Young Investigator Award, 2020
- Rose Hills Innovator Award, 2019
- Office of Naval Research Young Investigator Award, 2019
- Cupola Era Chair, University of California, Berkeley, 2018
- Day, R. W.; Bediako, D. K.; Rezaee, M.; Parent, L. R.; Skorupskii, G.; Arguilla, M. Q.; Hendon, C. H.; Stassen, I.; Gianneschi, N. C.; Kim, P.; Dincă, M. ACS Cent. Sci. 2019, 5, 12, 1959–1964. “Single crystals of electrically conductive 2D MOFs: structural and electrical transport properties”
- Bediako, D. K.; Rezaee, M.; Yoo, H.; Larson, D. T.; Zhao, S.-Y.; Taniguchi, T.; Watanabe, K.; Brower-Thomas T.; Kaxiras, E.; Kim, P. Nature 2018, 558, 425–429. “Heterointerface effects in the electrointercalation of van der Waals heterostructures”
- Kempa, T. J.; Bediako, D. K.; Kim, S.-K.; Park, H.-G.; Nocera, D. G. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2015, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2015, 112, 5309–5313. “High-throughput patterning of photonic structures with tunable periodicity”
- Bediako, D. K.; Costentin, C.; Jones, E. C.; Nocera, D. G.; Savéant, J.-M. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2013, 135, 10492−10502. “Proton–electron transport and transfer in electrocatalytic films. Application to a cobalt-based O2-evolution catalyst”
CIFAR is a registered charitable organization supported by the governments of Canada, Alberta and Quebec, as well as foundations, individuals, corporations and Canadian and international partner organizations.