Research in the Surendranath Group at MIT focuses on the investigation and manipulation of chemical reactions occurring at solid-liquid interfaces.
In particular, the Group aims to use electricity to rearrange chemical bonds by controlling interfacial reactivity at the molecular level. The chemistry of these interfaces is at the heart of nearly all contemporary challenges in renewable energy storage and utilization in a wide variety of technologies ranging from batteries, to fuel cells, to electrolyzers and, therefore, addressing these challenges is essential for enabling a low-carbon energy future.
- Cottrell Scholar Award
- Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellow
- DOE Young Investigator Award
- AFOSR Young Investigator Award
- NSF CAREER Award
- Jackson, M. N., Oh, S., Kaminsky, C. J., Chu, S. B., Zhang, G., Miller, J. T., & Surendranath, Y. (2018). Strong electronic coupling of molecular sites to graphitic electrodes via pyrazine conjugation. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 140(3), 1004-1010.
- O’Reilly, M. E., Kim, R. S., Oh, S., & Surendranath, Y. (2017). Catalytic methane monofunctionalization by an electrogenerated high-valent Pd intermediate. ACS central science, 3(11), 1174-1179.
- Wuttig, A., Liu, C., Peng, Q., Yaguchi, M., Hendon, C. H., Motobayashi, K., ... & Surendranath, Y. (2016). Tracking a common surface-bound intermediate during CO2-to-fuels catalysis. ACS central science, 2(8), 522-528.
- Wuttig, A., Yaguchi, M., Motobayashi, K., Osawa, M., & Surendranath, Y. (2016). Inhibited proton transfer enhances Au-catalyzed CO2-to-fuels selectivity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 113(32), E4585-E4593.
- Fukushima, T., Drisdell, W., Yano, J., & Surendranath, Y. (2015). Graphite-conjugated pyrazines as molecularly tunable heterogeneous electrocatalysts. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 137(34), 10926-10929.
CIFAR is a registered charitable organization supported by the governments of Canada, Alberta, Ontario, and Quebec as well as foundations, individuals, corporations, and international partner organizations.